Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Body of Lies & Other Movies...

The last few days have been quite interesting. New things to look forward to, new people, moments and of course Movies...!

Though I've two more films to cross this week with, the one that takes the cake and the icing among the other 4 just has to be Ridley Scott's 'Body of Lies'.
Just how the **** do these guys manage to pull off such a movie? A screenplay wonder from William Monahan and some brilliant vignettes of the Middle East shown with such aplomb via the camera of Alexander Witt, this film showcases Russell Crowe and Leonardo Di Caprio as the American beginning and end of a chain of people who fight against terrorism unleashed by the AlQaeda. The middle, as it conveniently sits well in the context of the story also, is the character of the King of Jordan-Hani Salaam, played with such panache by Mark Strong. More than a review of the film, what amazed me was the Housefull turnout at the theatre for a 16:15hrs show! And they say the film's been running this way (packed!) for the last 3 weeks. Wow! Watch it, you need no review from anyone for this one.

The other 2 films I picked up from my DVD library for one & only one reason alone - that they star Gerard Depardieu, who according to me is the Sivaji Ganesan of French/European Cinema. Small ones, long ones, thin ones, fat ones - give him any role and there you have Depardieu get into the skin of the character AND retain the charishma of a superstar! To learn how one can get beyond physical beauty or the lack of it when it comes to portrayal of roles, our modern actors must take a week off to study Depardieu. Of the two I saw, I liked the French film 36, for it had another French superstar Daniel Auteuil (& Depardieu) in a cop vs gangster story.

The other film, 'I am Dina' is a period flick, with large portions copied onto our very own Bansali's Black - yup, the wild natured girl child tamed by the Teacher, the difficult father-daughter relationship, the growing up into a complicated but talented girl - Black is a mix of this film and Miracle Worker. The shots, compositions, music, locales - are nothing short of Bravo!...in the original English film I mean. Touche'.

I also saw Richard Gere in a Jon Duvet average and rather boring film Red Corner, which my DVD man faithfully told me is the inspiration for the Tamil film Dhaam Dhoom. Both the original and the copy dont merit a review at all! My loyalties with Mr. Gere is more for my evening of interaction spent with him when we went to the Aids Awareness Star-Nite in Hyd, where I was translating the proceedings on stage (which was in Telugu and Tamil) to one of the sexiest men alive! Hmmmm...!

Movies apart, I have a very good reason to be grinning. Something I put an effort to do, something which has turned out not so bad after all...is a little something that needs a special post! I end this post here, as Kurosawa's Roshomon awaits me..! Ciao!

No comments: