Friday, December 5, 2008

Fauji

Guess it started with Fauji. Remember one of the First Television Serials that caught our attention? The one that Introduced THE now Reigning Khan to us!

A wednesday evening was something I used to looked forward with great joy. One of the few things that would motivate me to doing my Maths homework ahead of time, so I could devote 30 minutes of undivided self to the Black & White Solidaire. I had the distinction of not missing even one Episode of the 13 Week Serial! It started there I guess, my fascination for the Men in Uniform. Abhimanyu Roy - played to perfection by Shah Rukh Khan - Sigh! Every single character in this serial endeared you. I was in awe of those guys. The ones in Fauji and the Real MEN guarding our nation, day and night. A few years later, when I moved back to Tambaram, stepping out of home during weekends meant catching a glimpse of the 'too Good to be true but nevertheless right there' Cadets (from the Air Force Station in Tambaram). Hmmm.

Again after a few years later, I met this absolutely Charismatic Lt. Col DD Pandey. The gentleman, Lt. Col R.S. Moorthy who introduced us to him was a lovable person too! But "Pandey Uncle", (as we HAD to call him, thanks to this silly nomenclature that goes with age) will always be special. I guess l can safely call him my first serious Crush! Of our ten day stay in Bangalore in Cariappa Colony, I would hope that Pandey Uncle would visit us each day! I would look forward to avidly 'tune in' as this real life hero spoke about life in the Army. Moorthy Uncle and Pandey Uncle would always have interesting things to share. I remember going to that Dinner party at the Officer's Mess on one of the Evenings. (draw in a breath or two here!)

I did meet more people like these two Charismatic Gentlemen, but Lt. Col Pandey (as I prefer to call him as against the regular Uncle Pandey) was different. And months after that trip was over, I wrote to him.

And...in a few days I had an envelope on our dinner table which my mom pointed out when I came back from school one evening. The from address read, Lt. Col D.D. Pandey - Service Selection Board. I still have that Envelope and the letter that was in it.

As I sit back and wonder.. Is my still "going strong" fascination for the Armed Forces, a mere remains of my past? Maybe partly, but there is a lot more to it. In a world where MY priorities, MY life, MY family, takes precedence over anything that is YOURs - the Armed Forces have people willing to lay down THEIR lives for people like us, whose names or faces they will never know (I don't even know if I can take a pin prick for someone else!)

In a world where we act tough even to do just two things beyond what's required of us, here are a set of Brave People whose Call of Duty includes dying for a bunch of namesless people just because they BELONG to the same country. What more reason do I need for justifying my fascination, my awe, my respect...for our Armed Forces!

I remain indebted like each one of you to every single Fauji..
Jai Jawan.

The above piece is written by Devasena - RJ/EP Radio Mirchi.
(Re)Produced here with permission (but of coz!)

No comments: